Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Of a Tuesday

DSCF4557a

Something new awaits its moment in the sun.  It is taking a long time to dry.  I think it might be fabulous, but there is no way to tell yet, other than to keep measuring it, and measuring myself, and hoping the two numbers are still compatible.  Or it might be ridiculous, but in the best way.  Anyway, I wait.  In the meantime, the yard filled up with these the other day:

DSCF4524a

A whole flock of them settled in that crabapple tree, early in the morning, and they sat there all day, nibbling at the (probably fermented by now, which may explain their lengthy visit) raisiny fruit and muttering to each other.  Oblivious to the marauding Grackles and Robins.  I thought their stoicism seemed kind of heroic, but that may be the result of too many cabin-bound days, making anything at all happening outside look like a National Geographic documentary.   They sat there.  They ate.  I was fascinated.  

Something made them all do this at once:

DSCF4520a

Stre-e-e-e-tch!  Then relax again.  Bird yoga. 

DSCF4522a 

I think they’re Cedar Waxwings, which are somewhat transient here in my neighborhood.  We only see them as they pass through, so they seem quite exotic characters to me.  They were unmoved by my opening the kitchen window and hanging out it as far as I could, camera lens (such as it is) zoomed out as far as it would go, clicking away. 

DSCF4519a

My garden is mostly a habitat for the perching birds of the dull and brown variety, so a guy like this, in his yellow trousers and sexy superhero mask, looks like quite a movie star. 

20 comments:

  1. Your story telling is so funny. I actually laughed out loud with the S.T.R.E.T.C.H haha I am just as easily amused by animals and can totally see myself do the same thing S.T.R.E.A.T.C.H.E.D. out the window snapping away :)

    Thanks for the laugh and I look forward to seeing the reveal.
    -Birgitta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also laughed out loud at the stretching! Bird yoga. Hilarious.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some pretty birds. I wonder what they were alarmed by. Did you notice that they sort of match your granny square? Not exactly, but close enough...
    Dee/NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are waxwings for sure. We had them in our apple tree last week, and my friend Bryan Pfeiffer, a local naturalist, wrote this great blog post (with photos!) about seeing them on the library crabapple trees down about 10 miles from us in Montpelier a few weeks ago: http://bryanpfeiffer.com/2014/02/19/waxwings/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that whatever is drying now matches the colors of these little birds :)
    Thanks for sharing such cozy moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love birds and these looks so pretty. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing the new crochet when it is ready! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What unusual birds you got the zoom on them well.Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, ha! You would never know they were the same birds! Loved your comments about National Geographic - it is funny how sometimes the most minor of things fascinates us.
    Caz zz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Enjoy every minute of their layover at your house...no doubt they'll be return for more potent fruits...Chrissie x ps Lovely granny crochet going on there...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love birds:) Totally get your fascination with them.
    Got some feeder-thing hanging from my window in hopes of birds coming to eat there. The only thing is they havn't come.
    The one time a bird actually landed and started eating, my cat was at the window sill scaring the bird away within seconds! haha. Now I certainly wont be blessed with pretty birds visiting me;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe! Sexy superhero, made me giggle. I think they are Cedar waxwings for sure. They are stunning little things aren't they? I love that you caught them stretching like that. Fabulous photos and all fingers crossed that project sunshine is a hit xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so fortunate to get such a show from the waxwings! I am a birdwatcher and I only just saw my first ones last year. Aren't they beautiful! I love your granny square too. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made me laugh out loud with your National Geographic comment. Then I told my husband what you said and he laughed too! You hit the nail on the head with that comment. Both of us are watching the smallest changes in the yard as we slowly, slowly move towards spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your story is so funny. I even read it out loud to my husband ( which I normally don't) and he laughed about it too. I don't know the birds, but I live in The Netherlands so that explains it may be. We have a very strange spring season. Very high temperatures, almost no rain and the leaves did not yet appear on the trees. The temperatures are as high as in June. We didn't have a cold winter also, so it feels really strange here.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty birds! We must be on same brain waves - you had been hand piecing when I was, now you show a pic of a granny that is similar to the one Im working on now! Im about 40 rows in. If next post you show cross stitch Im going to think you're a long lost relative! Beautiful post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the cedar waxwings. They are so beautiful with their smooth feathers. I see them in the summer when the berries are on the junipers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looove this post! Yes, I think you are right -- cedar waxwings. I have never seen them do the neck stretching thing, wonder what that was all about? I'll be watching for them now, to see if I can catch any doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting post! I would love to have cedar waxwings very us. I have been reading your blog for awhile now and really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete