Speaking of wearable, I give you this simple granny square tunic. I’m sure this has been done since the dawn of crochet, but nobody is more surprised than I that it worked. As it dried, it had all the flair and shape of a child’s t-shirt, and I couldn’t imagine it would fit me, though I measured everything repeatedly. The numbers didn’t lie. It fits.
Maybe it helps if, like me, you are getting to be a Woman of a Certain Age. I have noticed a kind of, er, shift in the structure of things, if you will. Tunics! Yes, bring on the tunics.
Of course. a bit of je ne sais quoi is also required if you want to walk down the street wearing a sweater made out of granny squares. You need self-possession. Little kids have it, and it’s also a nice side-benefit of aging. This tunic, my daughter said, is something Mrs. Weasley would wear—very high praise, indeed.
Inspired in construction by the Abiquiu tunic—knitted counterpane squares, joined together—from the Spring 2014 Interweave Knits, I measured myself at the widest point, divided that number by four, and worked sixteen granny squares to that dimension, joining as I went, and then added a picot edge to the cuffs, hem, and neckline. There’s no sewing-up at the finish—just weave in your ends and clip them off. I blocked it—of course—to maximize drape. Right up until it was dry (and it took a long time to dry) and I could put it on, I did not believe it would work. But it did.
This would be great, even more Mrs. Weasely-ish, in scrappy grannies, but I was feeling more subdued than that when I made mine, so all sixteen squares are the same. Still bohemian, I think. I like the undulating ombre effect of the (mostly) related colors. Desert, sunset, sky.
There are eight different colors here, all worsted weights: Cleckheaton something or other in burnt orange, leftover Hayfield DK in pale pink (oops, that’s not worsted weight—well, it worked out fine) Berocco Vintage in orange heather, Berocco Vintage in pale blue, Patons Classic Wool, dyed by me with red onion skins—it’s a warm, almost pinkish brown, Araucania something or other, dyed by me with turmeric, and Berocco Vintage in gold and gold heather. All but the last two are single skeins and scraps. I used a 4.00 mm hook.
Crazy, crazy, crazy. Crazy that it worked. I love it.